Monday, October 20, 2008

Jokes on you I am NOT my own worst enemy!!

So this weekend was interesting. I helped my best friend we'll call him Jack Poates... so anyway I was helping him work on a project and we were coming up with names for a fragrance. Then on Sunday I gave my brother some interior decorating tips as he starts painting his new house. And today I asked my coworker if I could borrow some lotion. she warned me that it was girly smelling, but I wasn't afraid. Some may say there are 2 flaws here, that I moisturize my hands and the other is the name of the lotion? Berry Kiss. Here's the kicker. I do not even care. Not even a pinch!

In a world where male femininity is much maligned I am happy as clam to finally be embracing things that make me...me. I have 4 older brothers and things like a sense of fashion or a secret love for musicals often got me ridiculed. Then when you move into a world where homosexuality is becoming more and more the norm, men have this overwhelming need to prove that they are macho men. But I don't see these "flaws" as flaws at all. I'm not a homo, I'm not metro. I'm just well rounded. I love to play sports, work on home projects, work on cars, and I am a master of the grill if I do say so myself. The reason I'm grateful for Jack is because his life shows me it totally kosher. His dad used to play NFL football, but not Jackie. No, he spends his time pouring over vogue, he scents his pillow with lavender, but through all of that he still understands the offensive strategies of NFL teams, and plays basketball with more intensity than Lebron. He isn't gay either. How bout' that? I love the fact that he's shown me that I can do whatever I want and not even care what people think. And my other friends notice. They see a small mannerism here or there, and by no means is it surprising for me to hear the common, "Conner you've been spending too much time with Jack." But I take it as a compliment. And ya, I know this whole blog makes me sound like a total flamer...but I'm not. I know it. Everyone who knows me knows it. Your mom DEFINITELY knows it (just kidding, but seriously she does.) Other than that who else really matters. Letting people who don't care about you as a person control your life is about as ridiculous as going to a Walmart to look for future astronauts. It's just bad business.



I think the real key is finding who you are and the things you love to do then embrace it! After that surround yourself with the people who love and accept you for who you really are. I'm glad I finally have that, I just wish I hadn't had to wait until I was almost 21.

2 comments:

emma said...

yayyy conner! also, this post reminded me of the time that you showed my roommates and i your sister's wedding pictures and how excited you were about it.

Zack Oates said...

This Jack guy sounds like a wanker.

you're a stud Con man! i completely agree though. i may blog about this myself...good thoughts.